The Hailey Herald

The Hailey Herald

Monday, February 11, 2013

Independence

Hailey's redetermining evaluation last week bugged me.  She did quite well and I am very proud for how far she has come in her two short years.  How hard she tries at everything she does and how much fun she has in the process (even if her messes drive her mother quite mad some days!).  I know last week I wrote that it is only a snapshot in time and yes, I do believe that.  I just hate that she has to "fail".  When she is older, will she know that she "failed"?  How will she feel about that?  Will she understand how far she has come or how proud we are of her hard work? (I really should write an entire post just on this, but I don't have the energy to).

The next day, I sat down to read the results of her evaluation.  According to the state, Hailey was only delayed in gross motor because she couldn't walk up steps with assistance.  When they asked the question, I said I didn't know (we had never practiced it).  I frankly never tried because I am worried about her trying it on her own.  I've always feared the children falling down the stairs. 

So I tried over the weekend.  Actually Hailey can walk up the stairs with assistance.  She also does quite well with a spoon, when we have the time to give her a bath afterwards :-)  One of Hailey's goals for the next six months is to become more independent.  So we are working on using utensils, getting rid of her bottle, eventually moving towards dressing and potty training.  Her personality is so independent now the way it is, I assume that she will master all of this in time. 

Maybe it's a good thing that they didn't know she can walk up the stairs.  I'm afraid I would have a hard time fighting for services if she showed no delays :-)  I guess it is a good thing I didn't show them her unloading the dishwasher!!


 A little of miss independent.
Brushing her hair after bath.




No comments:

Post a Comment