The Hailey Herald

The Hailey Herald

Sunday, June 23, 2013

She's Not My Cross

This week in church, our priest was on vacation so we had a guest priest fill in.  Conducting mass this week was a Monsignor from Ghana.  His english was perfect, but you definitely had to focus due to his accent.  He started out talking about people in his community asking why God didn't grant them what they asked for in their prayers.  He explained to them that when you make the decision to be a follower of Jesus you agree to share the burden of carrying the cross.

Everyone has their own cross to carry, everyone's is different.  One person's could be poor health, someone else's a disability, and another person's financial issues, etc.  This got me thinking.  I hope that people don't look at my daughter as my cross to carry.  It breaks my heart to think that some would view her as a burden.  We all have our ups and downs.  Some of our loads are heavier than others.  We all deal with our issues differently.  Some cave to the pressures and some rise up above them and come out on the other side stronger.  Some help others deal with their issues.

I've had difficult things happen to me in my life, my mom died at the young age of 25 shortly after I turned 5, I had a boyfriend pass away in high school, another friend died shortly after him, grandparents, aunts and uncles have passed away, a miscarriage, Hailey's unexpected Down syndrome diagnosis and her heart defect.  Each event difficult and challenging in their own way and each one changed me.  I'm not sure which one, if any of them, was my cross to carry.  Maybe it was the combination of them all.  I do know for certain though...Hailey is not my cross.  I hope others see that, too.  She is funny, sassy, frustrating, animated, active, mischievous, rotten, spoiled, beautiful, stubborn, and loving.

A burden...she is not.








I happened to catch her dancing to the TV.

Love this girl!


8 comments:

  1. I would hope not either. I know I don't consider Owen a cross to bear at all. He is my son and I love him to pieces. I consider things like my poor relationship with my parents/siblings my cross to bear, but I would never put Owen in the category. To me, his disability, heart issues, and other things related to Down syndrome are simply a part of him. I'm his parent, regardless of any diagnosis or heath issue just like I would be if he didn't have any of those things.

    Your Hailey girl is a beauty. Love all the pics of her in dresses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has LOADS of dresses :-) Probably, too many! I guess that is what happens after having two boys :-) I can list several things that I would consider as my cross or part of my cross. I just hope we can change the minds of the public and make them see this, too!

      Delete
  2. I agree 100%, she is NOT a burden. I hope people who know Kamdyn see that when they look at us. I think if anyone looks at our lives and sees how happy we are, they will see our kids are not a burden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely not a burden. Love the picture of her dancing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! She's such a character. I truly believe the extra chromosome adds extra personality!

      Delete
  4. I always get the impression when people see Russell in a moment where he is acting out, that they think our lives are "so hard", that I am so stressed, or that he is my cross to bare, like you said. More than anything I cannot stand those looks of pity. Life with Russell is not anymore difficult or stressful than life with my teenagers is right now! lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shhhh...you can't say teenager yet! I have 3 years before any of mine hit that stage! I'm already dreading Hailey being a teenager!

      Delete
  5. Ben has been so easy to parent! He is even easier than Colin!

    ReplyDelete