The Hailey Herald

The Hailey Herald

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Can You Do More this World Down Syndrome Day?

Over the past three years, I know I have bombarded everyone with information about Down syndrome and bored everyone with pictures of my gorgeous (I'm her mom, I reserve the right to be biased), spunky, little girl with Down syndrome.  I advocate for my daughter partly because I love her, but also because I want others to realize a diagnosis is not always what you think it is.  Some things that seem daunting are misunderstood.  Some things that seem impossible just take a few adjustments.  Some things that you think will end your world, can be the best thing that has ever happened to you.

Tomorrow is March 21...aka World Down Syndrome Day.  3/21 was chosen because a person with Down syndrome has 3 copies of the 21st chromosome.



I know I've asked for acceptance and awareness before, but this time I challenge you to do more.  You can show your support by wearing blue and yellow (the colors of Ds awareness), but you can take it one step further.  Do you know someone with a disability?  Do your children have a classmate with a disability?  Can you include those individuals in an activity?  Can you go out of your way to have a conversation with them or see how their day is?  Can you volunteer in some capacity that will benefit an individual with a disability?  Sign up for a run or a walk whose funds benefit people with disabilities?  Can you bring attention to an individual that uses the r-word...ask them to find a different word?

How can you not only show people with Down syndrome that you accept them, but that you respect them?

I would love to hear what you can do!  Do it for Hailey...do it for yourself!

We will be spending our evening with our local Down syndrome families celebrating the loved ones that brought us all together. 





No comments:

Post a Comment