The Hailey Herald

The Hailey Herald

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

The Year of Michelle

I'll be honest, I don't leave my children often.  Jason and I took a few trips when the boys were little, but I always get so nervous when I do.  Since Hailey has been born, we haven't gone anywhere.  Jason has traveled for work, but I've always been worried about leaving Hailey.  She stays home with me every day.  The beginning of the year, Jason asked if I wanted to go with him on a business trip in November.  I asked my parents if they could come stay with the kids so no one missed school and we were able to get all worked out.  Shortly after that, friends from high school contacted me about a girls weekend in Nashville.  Jason then jokingly deemed 2014 the "Year of Michelle".

As the trip in November got closer, I got more nervous.  He had left the kids and I had left the kids, but together we hadn't left the boys in over 5 years and we had never both left Hailey.  I made 100 notes and 100 phone calls.  I fought back a few tears the morning I left Hailey at school.  To make a long story short, the kids did fantastic.  I worried about my parents understanding Hailey or her getting upset.  I worried about her napping and bedtime.  I apparently worried a lot for nothing.  They did fantastic.  In fact, Hailey barely wanted to talk to me when I called or FaceTimed them.  It made me a little sad.

Jason was traveling for work so we didn't get to spend a lot of time together.  I was able to go with him in the evenings.  I honestly don't know how he does that trip every year (I was exhausted!).  I did get some time to myself and I was able to spend a day with one of my college roommates.  It was nice to get away for a few days.  I did enjoy going to the bathroom without someone yelling "mom" or knocking on the door.  It was nice to eat a meal while it was hot or to choose a restaurant because of what I wanted to eat.  I spent the first day looking around....I felt like I forgot someone or something.  However, in the end...I missed them dearly and was happy to see them when we got home!



1 comment:

  1. How fun! And I know exactly what you're talking about since I left Owen a couple of weeks ago with Solito while I went away for the weekend. I did limit myself to one call a day though. And of course everything was fine and the world didn't end. But it was definitely nice to have a couple of days to do what I wanted to do and to sleep in!

    ReplyDelete