The Hailey Herald

The Hailey Herald

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

18 months of sass

18 months....one year and half....no matter how you put it, we are in the midst of toddlerhood in our household.  Most people still comment when talking to their children, "yes, look at the baby" and I'll admit, she does look more babyish than some 18 month olds....but that is where the "baby" ends with this little one.  After having two other children, trust me....the attitude, independence and sass that goes with it is a true toddler!  I love it!

Now that is just my opinion...I know most of the world and medical community don't agree.  I could see it in the nurses face as I answered the questions for an 18 month old.

Does she run?   This one almost made me laugh out loud!
Can she say 20 words?  Between signing and speaking she has 20 words (you could tell the nurse wasn't expecting that answer)
Can she speak 2 word sentences?  She signs 2 words together (more milk, eat please, etc)

On a daily basis, I don't "see" the delays that Hailey has.  Yes, I have two other children and yes, they were typical developing.  She is just Hailey.  It is when we are with other children her age or we have to ask questions at the doctor's office that they are pointed out to me.  Generally, that makes me sad and depressed.  This week, it didn't.  Have I grown?  Have I accepted it?  Not sure...both maybe.  For right now...Hailey is Hailey.  She has her strengths and her limitations.  I can't will her to walk.  I can't will her to speak.  I can tell you that she is working harder than anyone I have ever seen to accomplish things.  I am extremely proud of her and always will.

Enough of what my little girl can't do...let's talk about what this 18 month old can do.  Her stats this appointment were 22 lbs and 30 1/4 inches long.  I think that is a big jump from the last appointment but her pediatrician thinks she is still staying on her growth curve.  She is 24th percentile for weight and 15th percentile for height.  (We still need to have a blood draw done to check her thyroid function)  She is getting better at pointing and recognizing common objects on flashcards.  She is cruising furniture for every item she isn't supposed to have...ipods, phones, pokemon cards, etc.  She loves standing at the backdoor watching everything going on in the cul-de-sac.  Her push toys are now becoming more of a means of transportation than a couple steps here or a couple steps there.  She is getting better at "feeding" her baby doll but still prefers to pretend it is hers!  Little miss still refuses to use a straw but is getting better at her avent 360 cup.  She is up to 7 spoken words and 14 words signed.

We have a DVD player hooked up on the back of the seat that Hailey faces in the van (before anyone yells at me about children before 2 having screen time....it was that or her screaming at the top of her lungs....I had to cave).  She watches signing time videos.  The other night it was just her, my husband and I in the van.  The word was baby doll.  We heard her say doll and then tried to sign it.  I was so excited.  I love it when everything clicks...even if it is just every once in awhile!

Hailey still likes to pull hair and wrestle with her brothers.  She likes to empty the DVDs and throw them across the family room.  She has learned how to make her bottle spill milk all over the floor and when she is finished with her sippy cup or any other food that she is finished with, they get hurled off of the highchair.  She doesn't like pigtails or siting still for Reds games.  She loves waving at strangers (and shame on those who just stare and don't return the wave or a smile) and blowing kisses.  She uses a head tilt (think puppy dog) when you tell her no or she is trying to get her way with others (it doesn't work with mom or her EI therapist).  Her favorite two words are dadda and boo (peek-a-boo).

Hailey is not walking nor does everyone understand her signs (some you need to pay attention to context) or her words all of the time.  Right now, I keep pushing her to be the best she can be and I am positive she will walk as soon as she can!  In the meantime, I need to get my water glass and remote from her before she does some damage and listen to her giggles!

She looks so serious with her book.

Sound asleep!

Asleep again at Kings Island

Watching the Reds/Cardinals game

My oldest and youngest



Her throwing has gotten better....worst for clean-up though!

She's perfect!

9 comments:

  1. Adorable! She is doing so great with her communication. Love that you told them that she does have 20 words. She does. At Cora's 18 month appt I didn't feel sad either. In fact, I was pleased with all the yeses I could mark on her questionnaire. More than I expected. And I feel sad when strangers don't respond to my girlie's little princess wave either. How dare they?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am utterly surprised at how many people will not wave back at Hailey. How can you walk past a waving, smiling baby (as cute as her!) and not return the wave or smile?!?!?

      Delete
  2. LIke you said in the last picture.....She's perfect!!!

    Sounds like she is doing so awesome! I love the pictures of her smiling with her face all scrunched up! Madi does something very similar! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping one day she will actually smile for the camera!

      Delete
  3. Avery does that same face as Hailey did in the last picture...toooo cute..and it sounds like she is just where she is suppose to be...she will do it on her own time when she is good and ready:)) i always didnt mind if my "baby" didnt grow up too fast bc that just meant that i got a baby for alot longer then anyone else..and everyone would comment on how nice that was too...:))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rock on Hailey! You are doing so well :) I am not saying anything about the screen time--I am guilty of putting Signing Time on and I am a health care provider who used to tell parents no TV before 2 years old. Yep, that advice went right out the window once I had Ellie! Love all of the pics of Miss Sassy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it could always be worse...we could be letting them watch 16 and pregnant :-) Ha! Ha!

      Delete
  5. Hailey's cognitive abilities are so amazing! She needs to meet up with Ben and give him some lessons:)

    ReplyDelete