The Hailey Herald

The Hailey Herald

Friday, August 17, 2012

How Can It Be?

My baby boy turned 9 last Saturday.  It is hard to believe that I started this journey of parenting over 9 years ago.  My pregnancy was different with Brayden.  Everything was "perfect" until about 32 weeks when my blood pressure started spiking.  The OB feared per-eclampsia, but it turned out to be pregnancy induced hypertension so I started taking medication.  I was induced right at 40 weeks.  He was stuck so we had to use the vacuum.  He came out looking a little like a conehead at 7 lbs 15 oz.  I was in labor 17 hours and boy, I loved that epidural.  We were so green when it came to parenting.  We had lots of practice with babysitting, nieces and nephews, and younger siblings.  But...we all know that practice is nothing like bringing your own newborn home!  The day we took him home from the hospital, we loaded into the car very apprehensive.  I remember looking at Jason and asked him, "Are they really letting us leave with him?"  I needed someone with us...I needed a manual.  Unfortunately, we didn't get either.  Luckily, Jason mom and sister stayed with us for a week after Bray was born.  It was nice not focusing on dinner and cleaning.  I just focused on recovering (how could a little baby do that much to your body!?!?!) and my new baby boy.  Breastfeeding was a nightmare....I cried for a couple of days over that.  I finally decided to give up and that same day, guess who started nursing. 

I learned so much those first few months and years when it was just the 3 of us.  I knew that our family wasn't complete and God agreed with Ian and Hailey following.  I thought I knew enough about parenting.  Both children after Brayden proved that thought wrong. 

There are days that I think we owe Bray a few apologies for the mishaps and mistakes we made.  Nah...part of growing up ;-)  I'm very proud of my baby...looking forward to what the future holds for him!


Bray & his buddies having lunch


Hailey playing around while the big kids eat.





Proof that we still don't need a dog ;-)

1 comment:

  1. Happy birthday to Brayden! Ben thinks he's a dog too:)

    ReplyDelete