The Hailey Herald

The Hailey Herald

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Reason for a Party

Over a year after Hailey was born, I found out there was a sub-group of our local Down syndrome association for kiddos born with Ds born in 2011.  I was super excited and extremely nervous.  All of these families are going through the same things we were going through at the same time.  For the most part, Hailey is the only one with Down syndrome in our day-to-day world.  She does have one little girl in her classroom with Ds, but other than that...Hailey is it.  I feel it's important for Hailey to have time in both worlds...That may have come out incorrectly.  I don't want there to be two separate worlds, but I want her relationships to be seamless.  A friend is a friend...46 or 47 chromosomes...blonde hair or brown eyes.  I want her to know that she isn't the "only" one.  I don't want her to feel alone.  Who knows...the thought may never cross her mind, but I also don't want that to ever be an issue.  I like Hailey playing with and having friends that have Down syndrome and some that don't.

On Sunday several of us were able to meet up and let the kids play, eat, wear their costumes, listen to stories and trick or treat.  There might have been a lot of searching for children because several of them are "explorers", but we had a good time and I look forward to seeing these fabulous families again soon!

These two posed immediately:  Hailey & Jaia

Hailey chasing Katie to give her a check up.

Katie didn't cooperate to Hailey's standards so she searched out Ian.  He's a regular patient.

Zola, Nora & Hailey

Zola was an adorable bumblebee!

Jaia was the cutest cowgirl!

Big brother leading Hailey through the trick or treat stops.

Katie & Nora adorable in their Minnie costumes!

Our attempt at a group photo...cutie Trip on the far right was as close to a smile as we were going to get.


No comments:

Post a Comment