The Hailey Herald

The Hailey Herald

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Growing Up

This morning was bittersweet.  I packed up Hailey's bassinet, the baby tub and the baby swing this morning.  The poor thing...she cannot physically fit in the bassinet anymore.  I tried :-)  The swing is just taking up space.  We used it early on when she would fuss to give her a different view of the world.  Half the time we wouldn't even turn it on.  Maybe that is why she doesn't like it!  Now that she loves the floor and tummy time we don't really need it.  Since her heart surgery, she hasn't really been using the baby tub.  She prefers to wiggle around in a couple inches of water.  We are hanging onto the activity gym awhile longer because she does love reaching for all the toys. 

Don't get me wrong.  I'm so excited that Hailey is growing and making progress.  It is sad though.  She is my last baby and I do love my snuggly, cuddly babies!!!  Hailey is showing her personality (and attitude!) more every day.  She loves to flash those dimples and laugh at everyone.  She is not too happy when we eat in front of her without feeding her.  She will sit in her highchair smacking her lips.  It's not uncommon for her to reach out for our faces and plant a very wet, full-tongue kiss on the cheek.  She is following in the footsteps of big brothers (and mommy)...she is quite vocal these days.  We hear lots of ba-ba-ba, da-da-da and ma-ma-ma along with her vowel sounds.

We are playing this week low-key.  Older brother Ian is off the hook hyper this week.  We are trying to figure out if it is the excitement of school and getting into a routine or if it is a side-effect of his new medicine.  We are giving it until Monday.  If it doesn't improve, I'm calling his doctor.  I'm not sure we will be able to keep our sanity if he stays this hyper.  Big brother Bray had a one-on-one outing with Dad last night.  He was so excited when they got home last night, he could barely sleep.  Poor Hailey has a busy week next week.  She has an appointment at the Down syndrome clinic at Cincinnati Children's on Tuesday.  The social worker called today and I got a little emotional talking to her.  I hate that I still cry when I talk about what we have gone through and what our hopes are for Hailey.  I hope one day, I will get through an entire conversation about our past, present and future without the waterworks but I doubt it.  I'm a crier...always have been.  I doubt that it will change!  We were also able to set up her hearing test for next week.  Luckily, we were able to get that at a satellite office instead of making the trek downtown twice in one week.  Then Thursday we have our 6 month evaluation with Help Me Grow (early initiative).  Add those appointments with school, soccer and religion class and we have a full week!

With Ian back in school, I'm now able to get back to walking a few days a week with only one child in tow.  I've missed my walking buddy.  I jumped right back into the swing of things yesterday.  I made it the full hour and I think I was pushing myself (my friend said I did).  I enjoy spending a full hour exercising and talking about everything and nothing.  It makes me a better person.

Here are a few pictures.  The ones of little Miss Hailey in the bumbo were supposed to be my wordless Wednesday.  That was at 10 p.m. last night.  She refuses to go to sleep for mom...just dad.  Can we say spoiled?!?!?

Just playing with my toys

Big brother was excited about the movie he saw with Daddy.

Nope, mom...still not going to sleep

Before her surgery, Hailey never slept this way.  Now, she always sleeps with her hands behind her head.

No comments:

Post a Comment