The Hailey Herald

The Hailey Herald

Monday, September 26, 2011

Happy 7 months!

I seem to reflect a little more with Hailey's monthly birthdays than I did with the boys.  Hailey has come so far, we have come so far.  I don't think I will ever forget how the words sounded and how I felt when the doctor told us Hailey has Down syndrome.  I felt like life would never be the same and I thought it was the worst thing in the world.  I, honestly, am upset with myself.  I am upset that I was so uneducated on Down syndrome.

I was so wrong that Down syndrome is the worst thing in the world.  We are so incredibly lucky.  God blessed us with her.  Yes, there are many things that are more difficult for her.  Sometimes it has taken her longer to hit  a milestone.  Yes, she will have different struggles than the boys will.  She will see the world in a different light.  Life is settling into our "normal".  Her heart surgery is over and we are through most of the initial testing (ophthalmology, audiology, thyroid, etc).  We are into a routine with her therapy.

I've learned a lot about myself over the past 7 months.  I am a stronger person than I thought I could ever be.  I have to be.  My family needs me to be.  I don't take as many things for granted.  I thank God more often for all my blessings...big and small.  We celebrate more of the little things.  I try not to judge other people.  You never know what their story is or what obstacles they have to overcome.  It's not my place to judge. 

I was right about one thing...life will never be the same.  We have complete chaos now...we have three kids and we are outnumbered!  My heart will never be the same.  I've watched my little girl overcome so much and she is only 7 months old.  She prefers Daddy over Mommy at bedtime. She's a fighter, she's strong, she's lovable, she's curious...she completes our family. 

Happy 7 months my sweet baby girl!


Now that I'm getting up like this...what am I supposed to do?


No comments:

Post a Comment